Tuesday, April 5, 2011

treasures of an eternal nature

As I begin to ponder treasures of an eternal nature, I realized it is not an exhaustive list in the least. So I'll share some of what I'm personally, highly aware of tonight...

Heaven:
As a little girl, my mama would often talk about my grandma, her own mama who died when she was younger than I am today, when I was 1 year old. My mom would sing Grandma Joan's favorite song, which resonates in my own heart often:
"This world is not my home, I'm just a-passin' through. My treasures are laid out somewhere beyond the blue. Angels beckon me from heaven's open door, and I cannot feel at home in this world anymore. Lord, oh Lord, I have no friend like you. If heaven's not my home- then Lord what would I do?"

God's Faithfulness:
Last night I fell asleep sad because of the heavy feeling that comes on this continuous sojourn through a life of ebbing and flowing joys and sorrows, praying that God would refresh my hope in His utter faithfulness, love and care for us as we pass through this world and its troubles. Hebrews 10:22-23 "...let us draw near to God with a sincere heart and with the full assurance that faith brings, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful." Amen.

Hope:
This morning I woke up and heard the news that my lifetime friend Amber was in labor with her fourth son. Oh, the joy that made my heart leap as I sank to my knees in thankfulness for God's ability to fill me with hope and awe at the work of His hands in bringing forth new life- not only for little Liam Emmanuel, but also the life eternal given to all who find redemption in Him!
A worship song does a great job of putting words to my heart's song:

In Christ alone my hope is found
He is my light, my strength, my song
This Cornerstone, this solid ground
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm

Thank you God, for the hope and peace that goes beyond my understanding or any explanation I could give. Your ways are truly greater and higher than mine, and for that I am eternally thankful...


No comments: