Monday, June 20, 2011

Apart from You, I part from me

I've been simply and joyfully reveling in God's perfect grace in gifting me with some time for R&R from the hectic schedule of my 2nd year of teaching! Having time to enjoy family, friends, and a slower pace of life brings with it more time to ponder life, Christ, and who I am. My friend, Dan Martinez, sold this painting as part of his fundraiser for time in Swaziland, Africa some years back, and the written phrase captured my attention immediately...
In John 15, Jesus presents us with a beautiful picture as we journey through life, saying, " 1 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener...Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. 5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."
So- who am I? I've learned very practically over the past two years the truth that apart from Christ, I part from who I am. Because I was bought from sin at the priceless gift of Jesus' blood, I am now a daughter of the King! That is my first identity. I play several other roles to be sure: teacher, daughter, sister, friend, but unless I am loving the LORD my God with all my heart, soul, and mind first, I will fail at loving others like myself. (Matt. 22:37-39).
My prayer for this summer is that God and I have quality time together and that I fall ever more deeply in love with the Author and Perfecter of my faith! May you be blessed by Him this summer too, my friends. Know that I pray for you when God puts you on my mind.
(oh yes! My orchid plant has been delivering its long awaited blooms this week! Nearly every morning I see a new bloom opening. Isn't God GOOD!?!

1 comment:

Ray.of.sunshine said...

Very nice! Learning (and relearning) the reality of that phrase myself. Good stuff Sarah!