Wednesday, June 29, 2011

God has done this FOR me, not to me...


.season.of.singleness.

 I likely won't address this topic often in my blog, because I am not defined by it, yet I have recently and increasingly become much thankful for it... 
In Beth Moore's study entitled, "A Woman's Heart: God's Dwelling Place" she recently brought to mind the idea that, while we so often interpret life's happenings (especially those that are difficult) as God doing this "to" us- in truth He is likely doing it FOR us. This past week I've been reveling in the beauty of that truth, acknowledging and thanking God for the ways that the plans He has for His children are so far outside human comprehension, that He alone is fully worthy of the trust and very lives of those He has redeemed by His Son's precious blood.  It can be so easy to say that God did something for us when looking back; I desire to grow in saying God is doing this for me in my present situation (whatever it may be). This is so contrary to human nature, but I am asking God for grace in learning to see life in this way increasingly.

I also am learning that trusting God "on condition" is not really trusting Him.

I recently picked up an old favorite, "Stepping Heavenward: One Woman's Journey to Godliness" by Mrs. E. Prentiss, and highly recommend it to any woman journeying with Christ. It makes me laugh, think and be challenged in my relationship with my Abba Father. 

That's all really. Praying God's children around the world will grow in practicing thinking of God doing for, not to us.

No comments: