Friday, July 15, 2011

the number seven (7)




For some unspecific reason, I never was the biggest fan of the number seven, mostly in terms of when it came to my age. I don't remember much about my year as a seven year old, being seventeen was nothing too grand, and now-being twenty-seven, hasn't seemed particularly adventuresome either.

however....
*smile*

I adore how the Author and Perfecter of my faith works, and this little story gives me just a glimpse of how intricately involved He is with "silly" things such as my not liking the number seven. Here, I'll tell it to you:

This summer, I was going through a Beth Moore Bible study where I learned that the number "7" stood for perfection in scripture. I noted it, but did not think much of it until I counted the flowers that had budded on my orchid- there were 6 at the time, and while a 7th "runt "bud existed, I didn't hold much hope for it as it was farther down from the cluster of its beautiful sister blooms and so puny. But God had other plans for it, and today that 7th flower that popped out catches my eye the most easily because its beauty stands alone.

A little study on the number seven in scriptures taught me that:
"THE NUMBER OF SPIRITUAL PERFECTION. Seven days in a week. Seven colors in the spectrum. Seven of the 10 commandments begin with the word "not." There are 7 seals, 7 trumpets, 7 parables in Matthew, and 7 promises to the churches. There are 7 "eternals" in Hebrews which are: A priest for ever (1:6); Eternal salvation (1:9); Eternal judgment (6:2); eternal redemption (9:12); eternal spirit (9:14); eternal inheritance (9:15); and everlasting covenant (13:20). Jesus said 7 things on the cross: 1) Luke 23:34 "Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." And they divided up his clothes by casting lots; 2) Luke 23:43 Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise"; 3) Matthew 27:46 About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?" -- which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"; 4) John 19:26 "When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, "Dear woman, here is your son"; 5) John 19:28 "Later, knowing that all was now completed, and so that the Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, "I am thirsty." 6) John 19:30 "When he had received the drink, Jesus said, "It is finished." With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit"; and 7) Luke 23:46 "Jesus called out with a loud voice, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." When he had said this, he breathed his last." "Hallelujah" occurs 28 times or 4 x 7. "Hosanna" occurs 7 times. "Milk" occurs 49 times or 7 x 7. "Abaddon" occurs 7 times. "After the order of Melchizedek" occurs 7 times." http://carm.org/what-biblical-numerology

And what's more cool than learning the number 7 is the number of perfection is the way that when I look back on my life I see that:
7 years old- got my baby brother Luke, a sort of growth from total childhood to older sister
17 years old- spent six weeks in Romania and began to mature spiritually
27 years old- learning that singleness is one of the most awesome gifts God's given me to date and loving life more than ever!

Maybe I didn't put into words (despite how many I used) well enough how amazed I am at Christ's utter perfection in all things, but I am.

I glorify my Adonai!!!
~Toby Mac~


No comments: